The EMSL is designed for measurement of target radar signatures and as such can be used in the evaluation of radar techniques for mine detection.
- 20m-diameter anechoic chamber.
- Transmit, receive antennae and other sensors on circular track with independent elevation range (-115° to +115°, ±0.005°).
- 37 fixed receiving antennae on hemispherical surface of chamber.
- Central target can rotate about a vertical axis (0° to 360°, ±0.05°)
- Target can be translated parallel to the axis of the antenna track (-2.5m to +2.5m, ±0.5mm).
- Targets up to 5 tonnes accommodated.
- Spatial scattering pattern produced and radar scattering matrix is measured (signature)
- Radar cross section can be derived.
- "Scatterometric" and imaging modes.
- Monostatic, bistatic and multistatic configurations.
- Frequency range 0.5 to 40GHz
- Polarization: HH, VV, HV, VH (full-polarimetric).
- Sensitivity 60dB(sm), 100dB dynamic range
- Suitable for characterizing a target, validating a model or selection of system parameters for new sensors.
- Spatial resolution depends on measurement mode: from 10mm to 1m.
- Complex, lengthy measurement sequences can be executed by automated control system.
- Data handling system developed specifically for this application.